This is a guest post by our lovely friend Fi Morrison from Baby Hints and Tips.
Are you looking for some cheap, festive meal ideas to suit your family this Christmas? Whether you’re bringing a dish for a potluck meal, or keeping it more low-key, these recipes will be sure to win over the whole family!
Orange and Spice Slow Cooker Chicken Drumsticks
Chicken is a great protein source – as well as a great alternative for (the more expensive) Turkey – with drumsticks being a very affordable option for families with a budget. This amazing Orange and Spice Slow Cooker Chicken Drumsticks recipe (found here) will definitely be a crowd-pleaser at your festive celebrations!
Price for meal: $6.96 (approx)
- RSPCA Approved Chicken Legs Drumsticks per kg – $2.90/kg (Woolworths)
- 3x Star Anise – $2.25/12g (Woolworths)
- 2x Cinnamon Sticks – $3.00/15g (Woolworths)
- Brown Sugar
- Soy Sauce
- Chicken Stock
- Juice of an orange
- Rice wine vinegar
A staple for most festive occasions is the humble potato salad. Everyone loves a good salad in a potluck or buffet style meal, so why not get this easy recipe out and save some money at the same time?
Price per meal: $9.40 (approx)
- 1-1.5kg Baby White Washed Potatoes – $3.50/kg (Woolworths)
- 3x Spring Onions – $2.50/bunch (Woolworths)
- 4 pieces of short cut bacon, diced – $4.00/200g (Woolworths)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 generous tablespoon of seeded mustard
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cut the potatoes in half and cook them in boiling water. Drain once cooked.
- Cook the bacon and spring onions in a frying pan.
- Place potatoes in a large serving bowl – add the bacon, spring onions, mayonnaise, and seeded mustard. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Roasted Turkey Breast with Cranberry Sauce
Turkey is a popular dish for the Christmas season, but it can be quite expensive when you look at some of the options. However, this smaller-portion roasted turkey breast (with a delicious cranberry sauce) can be a great crowd-pleaser at a family or buffet-style lunch.
Price per meal: $9.20 (approx)
- Ingham’s Turkey Breast Strips 400g – $7.00 (Woolworths)
- Woolworths Cranberries 150g – $2.20 (Woolworths)
- 1 tsp Rosemary
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1 tsp garlic
- ¾ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- Approx. 1 tbs olive oil
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees.
- Combine the herbs, salt, pepper and oil in a small bowl.
- Coat the turkey breast strips in the seasoning mixture.
- Place turkey strips in a roasting pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until cooked through.
- Use sugar, water and cranberries to make some cranberry sauce.
- If you’re going for a casual meal, grab out some bread and make some turkey and cranberry sauce sandwiches!
- You can also roast some vegetables along with the turkey breast strips to bulk up the meal.
Gingerbread Cheesecake Shots
If you’re in charge of the desserts this Christmas, fear not because we have you covered! Whip up these in no time for a delicious, festive treat!
Price per meal: $6.40 (approx)
- 250ml Cream cheese – $3.30 (Woolworths)
- 1 large tbs Glucose Syrup (approx. 15ml) – $4.50/400ml (Woolworths)
- 50g Shortbread Biscuits – Mini Gingerbread Men – $8.49/150ml (Walkers brand, online here) Other variations will suffice.
- 1 tsp ground Cinnamon
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Few drops vanilla essence
- Approx. ½ cup milk
Fun, Healthy Christmas Snacks for Kids
Nothing makes Christmas more special than fun food, but this can always be a bit of challenging balance with the kids – how do we strike the right balance between fun and healthy?
We have an amazing selection of fun, healthy Christmas snacks here that are also affordable and super easy to make with the kids!
Looking for more Christmas inspiration? Check out these recipes:
About the author
Fi Morrison is a first-time mum to a beautiful baby boy, and a part-time primary school teacher. She’s also an awesome blogger for Baby HInts and Tips! This non-judgemental community is a hub for advice on all things pregnancy, baby, kids and parenting. Enjoy the support and fun at www.babyhintsandtips.com. Join their Facebook community.