We are all a bit pancake crazy in my house. We love to whip them up for a weekend breakfast or make little healthy blueberry pikelets as a snack to enjoy at any time.
The great news is they freeze really well, and incredibly handy to have on hand as a lunchbox snack.
Why blueberries? Well first of all my boys just love them… and secondly they are incredibly healthy. According to Medical News Today:
The fibre, potassium, folate, vitamin C, vitamin B6, and phytonutrient content in blueberries supports heart health. The absence of cholesterol from blueberries is also beneficial to the heart. Fibre content helps to reduce the total amount of cholesterol in the blood and decrease the risk of heart disease.
This makes it a fabulous inclusion into your family diet! Now.. on to the recipe!
Healthy Blueberry Pikelets
- 1 cup wholemeal self raising flour
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 punnet fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Mix together the flour, cinnamon, and sugar in bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together egg and milk until well combined.
- Add the egg and milk mixture to the flour and mix until smooth.
- Carefully fold through blueberries into mixture (frozen blueberry generally hold together a bit better).
- Heat fry pan over medium heat and spray with olive oil or a little butter.
- Use a 1/3 cup measures to add mixture into pan
- Cook until bubbles appear on top, turn pancakes, and cook until both sides are golden brown.
- For breakfast, we love to serve with a dollop of Greek yoghurt and a drizzle of maple syrup on top.
- Banana is a lovely optional extra to slice and serve on top.
- To freeze, place cooled pikelets, in a single layer, in a large snap-lock bag. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature. Serve warm or at room temperature.
I hope you enjoy these Healthy Blueberry Pikelets as much as we do!
If you would like another delicious lunchbox idea, try our Healthy LCM Bars!
Rachel Cassidy is the author of this article and the founder of Little Peeps Eats. She is a passionate food blogger and brand ambassador, but her most important job is being a mum! Little Peeps Eats helps families take the stress out of mealtimes by providing healthy, kid approved recipes, as well as fussy eating tips and tricks. Their website hosts a directory of nutritionists, resources and mealtime products to ensure that you have everything you need at your fingertips when it comes to feeding your family.