This article ‘OmieBox – is it really the best bento box for kids?’ is a collaboration between Bambino Love and
Little Peeps Eats. Featured image supplied by OmieLife.
There are an incredible number of bento boxes on the market these days. Whilst there are certainly advantages of being spoilt for choice, it can also mean it is a tough choice to wok out which will be the best bento box for your children.
Over the years, I have acquired a number of bento lunch boxes for my kids. They range greatly in size, functionality, and price. I’d heard a lot about the OmieBox. It’s been called ‘The holy grail of bento boxes’, and it won the 2017 Family Choice Award, so I was very curious to find out whether it lived up to the hype or not.
OmieBox – is it really the best bento box for kids?
The OmieBox was sent to me by Bambino Love – and was presented so beautifully, wrapped delicately in green tissue paper, I was dying to to see what was inside.
The OmieBox comes in a sturdy, quality box with all the important facts (care instructions, features, etc) printed on it. Once I had that box in my hand, it truly felt like a premium product. Upon opening the box, I was delighted to see my OmieBox in the ‘sky blue’ colour I had chosen. The colour was bright and vibrant, and I knew instantly would be a hit for my son. It certainly looked like one of the best bento boxes I had seen.
It has three to four sections. I say three to four, as one of the compartments has a removable divider. I see this could be both an advantage or disadvantage. As we all know – kids are notoriously prone to lose things. This divider could easily get lost at school (or in the Tupperware drawer!). I must admit though, I do love that I can slide the divider up and down to suit whatever I am packing that day. It’s been two terms now, and it has not gone missing. I was pleased to see that you can actually purchase these separately for only $6 if it does go walk-a-bout.
It’s fairly deep and holds a lot of food (6 1/4 cups) – including space for a sandwich which is important to me, because often it’s what my son wants for lunch. If you are using the insulated container, it has a 4 cup capacity.
And here’s where this bento box truly differentiates itself from others… it has a removable thermos – which truly makes it the best bento box for the chilly winter months.
What I love about this thermos is that it is not long tall and deep like a lot of the portable ones are, which I find difficult to scoop (or spoon) food out of. It is a perfectly sized bowl that is perfect to pack hot lunches. The chunky handle means it is easy for little hands to open and close on their own.
Surprisingly – it stays hot A LONG TIME. I have found it easily maintains it’s temperature until lunch time, and often in the afternoon at 3pm I’m surprised with how warm it still feels inside the thermos.
With double walled insulation it means you can pack chilled items in the section next to it without them getting warm.
Here are some of our favourite recipes to pack into the thermos:
- Quinoa Con Carne
- Mini Wholemeal Pizzas (pop a square of baking paper between them to stop them sticking together, you may not worry about the thermos and simply pop them in cold as pictured above!)
- Slow Cooker Lentil Bolognese
- Roasted Pumpkin, Carrot & Cauliflower Soup
- Super Power Spaghetti Bolognaise
- Mexican Inspired Shakshuka Eggs
- Fried Rice
- Creamy Tomato Soup
Image: Goodie Goodie Lunchbox
Care & Maintenance
Hand washing is recommended, in warm soapy water. It does clean very easily, and I haven’t had any issues with staining yet.
You can put it in the top rack of the dishwasher if you wish (except the thermos), however it is recommended you remove before the heat dry cycle. I tend to just hand wash mine – I don’t want to risk my beloved OmieBox damaged at all from my dishwasher which has not been kind to my plastics in the past.
What I love
- The gorgeous, vibrant colours available
- The cute handle makes it really simple for kids to to carry, and put in and out of their bag
- Incredibly versatile, being able to pack both hot and cold options
- Top and side compartments are leak proof – I often pack yoghurt in one of the divided sections
- Easy to clean
- Simple for little fingers to open and close
- Divided sections make it easy to pack a variety of foods, picky eaters may enjoy the fact the different foods aren’t touching!
Things to consider
- The divider may easily get lost by kids that often lose things. However they are replaceable, and you don’t need to use it.
- It has amazing insulation with it’s double walled bottom tray, and removable insulated bowl. This does mean it is a little heavier than most bento boxes.
- Given it’s a premium product, it means it has a higher price tag than a lot of bento boxes ($70), which makes it costly to replace shout it get lost. Keep in mind though that you do get what you pay for.
The verdict – is OmieBox really the best bento box?
If you are looking for a bento box that can take you all seasons, that you can pack hot and cold items, then I can’t think of a better product on the market.
It’s versatility and high quality really makes this bento box stand out from the crowd, and is a much loved product of my family,
Exclusive OmieBox deal for Little Peeps Eats followers!
Want $10 off your own OmieBox? Use code LPEOMIE at the Bambino Love checkout! Valid until 31 August 2018.
Rachel Cassidy is the author of this article and the founder of Little Peeps Eats. She is a passionate food blogger and brand ambassador, but her most important job is being a mum! Little Peeps Eats helps families take the stress out of mealtimes by providing healthy, kid approved recipes, as well as fussy eating tips and tricks. Their website hosts a directory of nutritionists, resources and mealtime products to ensure that you have everything you need at your fingertips when it comes to feeding your family.